Historial Look Back

Discussion of ways that historical data could be utilized on the Geo Web

1 Like

This excerpt from this article reminded me of a use case that @codynhat and I have previously discussed:

Android and iOS users browsing images of a location can tap “See more dates” to view “historical” imagery—dating back to Street View’s 2007 launch. Depending on how far back Google started capturing mapping data for the location you are viewing, a range of dated images should pop-up for you to experience an area how it used to be. This could be especially surprising for areas of the world that have undergone major changes either by design or world events

This historical view of the physical world could be rendered in augmented reality via the Geo Web instead of just on a screen–which ups the coolness factor quite a bit IMO.

With the Geo Web’s use of mutable Ceramic Streams, spatial browsers could have the ability to traverse the history of digital content anchored to a location too (even across different landowners). It’s like the Wayback Machine for the Geo Web.

1 Like

This strikes me as a cool app that would be built by a 3rd party via SDK if they were able to do so, similar to the original Google Earth desktop app.

1 Like

Yeah anyone would be welcome to build it! The Geo Web land registry and content layer are open for that reason.

Over time, we want the Geo Web experience to develop into one where traveling from parcel to parcel (irl or on a Cadastre) seamlessly presents you with new experiences and functionality. Instead of swapping between siloed apps with different functionality, these seemingly disparate use cases could be implemented with features in a general-purpose spatial browser or “themes” installed by the landowner/publisher that the browser interprets.

1 Like

I haven’t looked at the code in awhile – is there an SDK or some example applications that aren’t the Cadastre that demonstrate how to build on GeoWeb?

2 Likes

Yeah, our data models repo has the beginnings of that on the Ceramic/content layer side.

If you haven’t previously looked at our alpha version of a spatial browser (web app, fixed use cases) there’s that too.

2 Likes